Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
did the army switch from caligae in 1st cent?
I just got a book on Roman costume recommended by Hibernicus/Sean Richards (many thanks!) and was reading in the 'footware/caligae' section that C. van driel Murray says that the army started switching from caligae to closed boots at the end of the 1st century. One thing she mentions is the lack of caligae finds at Vindolanda, where they find everything else but.<br>
In the cold climates like Britain it would seem a very practical switch, but as Matt likes to point out, the Romans werent' necessarily bothered by practicalities.<br>
Does anyone have any updates on the footware thinking? I"m about to make a pair of caligae, and was wondering if we should have a 'late 1st century enclosed army boot' in our events.?? <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
There is one caliga on display at vindolanda but it is very much in the minority to all the other footwear (see the newly displayed childrens shoes).<br>
On the other hand the garrison is largely auxilliary and they would not be born and bred in caligae<br>
In the ESG the boot has gained in popularity with the auxilliaries and also principales increrasingly booted on display.<br>
No Milites as yet have been permitted Boots and it would alter the commentary if they were. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Are there any photos of your auxiliary boots? Where did they get the pattern from? I did see Vindolanda last year (2000) but there were so many shoes on display that I must have missed the caligae.<br>
<p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I believe the book, "Hadrian's Wall In The Days Of The Romans" mentions the soldiers on Hadrian's Wall wearing "closed boots" as well. Could have been in reference to the auxiliaries though (been awhile since I've read it).<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Quintus Peltrasius <p></p><i></i>
there are a great variety of enclosed boots.<br>
<br>
I keep meaning to make some....perhaps this winter...............well may be!<br>
<br>
Also At the previous ROMEC ['99] Carol Van Driel Murray was talking about leather finds from a Roman fort in Eygpt, wher the garrison were wearing local styles of footwear. Her thought was perhaps supply was difficulty- perhaps but maybe 'when in Rome...' <p></p><i></i>
I could not find a picture on the net. I shall chase up Graham Sumner for you. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
In an article on shoes in Schlueter, W. and R. Wiegels (eds.), <i> Rom, Germanien und die Ausgrabungen von Kalkriese</i> (Osnabrueck 1999) she also suggested that the Egyptian footwear, lacking hobnails and having plain soles, may have been adapted to suit the local rocky terrain. As Josephus recorded of the centurion slipping on the pavement and ending up being killed, the hobnails may not have been a good idea on slippery surfaces.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Dear Derek<br>
<br>
Sorry no photographs of the boots available. However details about them appear in Vindolanda III The Early Wooden Forts Carol Van Driel-Murray et al .1993 .Roman Army Museum Publications.<br>
<br>
The Guard Boots were based on the type classed as "Fell Boots". Amongst the earliest successors to the classic Caligae.<br>
<br>
Other details will appear in my forthcoming book.<br>
<br>
Best wishes<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
I remember reading something about special boots made for the speculatores. Does anyone knows what they looked like? <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The <i> caliga speculatoria</i> is referenced in Suetonius, though as far as I am aware it has not been identified on any depictions.<br>
<br>
<i> ...ac modo in crepidis uel coturnis, modo in speculatoria caliga, nonnumquam socco muliebri...</i><br>
<br>
'At times in slippers or boots, at times in scouting boots, at times in women's shoes'<br>
<br>
The full text and translation can be found at the linked sites.<br>
<br>
The praetorian guard had an uncertain number of <i> speculatores</i> in its ranks, cavalrymen used as body guards rather than as scouts as their name implies.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Carol has in fact written an article in the latest *Britannia* (XXXII, 2001) that may be of interest in this discussion. It has a nice diagram illustrating the changes in footwear through the Roman period and briefly discusses this business of the *caliga* going out of fashion in the 80s.<br>
<br>
Full reference is<br>
<br>
C. van Driel-Murray, 'Vindolanda and the dating of Roman footwear', Britannia XXXII, 2001, 185-97<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
After a search of a few book stores, I cannot find any reference to 'Britannia', although there are some less likely candidates on the magazine shelves. What exactly is Britannia anyway? <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Britannia is an academic magazine. Full title: 'Britannia: a journal of Romano-British and kindred studies.' It is published by the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. You'll probably need a university library to find it. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks. Here's their page.<br>
<br>
www.sas.ac.uk/icls/roman/default.htm<br>
<br>
EDITOR OF BRITANNIA : Professor Lawrence J.F. Keppie, FSA, FRSE<br>
<p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=richsc>RichSC</A> at: 1/20/02 8:36:35 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the switch from Montefortino to Coolus/Iperial helmets happened? Corvus 10 2,336 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  3rd cent greaves for 6th cent/Lorica Squamata shoulders? Thaddeus G. Moore 11 3,656 09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat