Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regions of Constantinople
Ave Civitas,

I was looking at a map of the regions of Constantinople, and saw there were fourteen.  However, a wikipedia article tells me that [Constantine divided the expanded city, like Rome, into 14 regions,].

That is fine, but Constantine's Constantinople, the city within Constantine's walls did not encompass all 14 districts.
It seems that only regions I through VII lay within the walls of Constantine.  Is this an error in Wikipedia?  Or did Constantine lay out the outer seven regions in anticipation of future growth?
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(05-20-2016, 01:07 AM)Lothia Wrote: It seems that only regions I through VII lay within the walls of Constantine.  Is this an error in Wikipedia?

Regions I-XII lay within the walls of Constantine. Region XIII was Galata, across the Golden Horn, which seems to have been fortified at an early stage. Region XIV was originally an area of the Sixth hill that lay outside the walls - apparently 'seven stone-throws' outside the walls - and was called the Hebdomon: this is from Brown; Van Millingen suggests the sixth hill area may have been separately fortified before Theodosius II built his walls.
Nathan Ross