Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan's Column
Generally, I simply stop reading if whatever I am reading supports their info with depictions from the Column.

But, do we have any idea how accurate the depictions are on the column?
Chris
not very
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(06-03-2016, 07:31 PM)Protectores Donutici Wrote: Generally, I simply stop reading if whatever I am reading supports their info with depictions from the Column.

Would suggest this book may give some of the answers you seek, unfortunatly it wont be available till next year:

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/all-the-...s-men.html
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(06-04-2016, 06:30 AM)Crispianus Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 07:31 PM)Protectores Donutici Wrote: Generally, I simply stop reading if whatever I am reading supports their info with depictions from the Column.

Would suggest this book may give some of the answers you seek, unfortunatly it wont be available till next year:

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/all-the-...s-men.html

Jon has actually written a number of papers on its accuracy which give a taste of what he is going to say in the book. I suggest looking at his university staff profile to see some of them as well as his TC site.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Jon Coulston's Ph.D. thesis on the Column can be downloaded from the British Library EThOS website here:

http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?did=2...hos.262008
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(06-03-2016, 07:31 PM)Protectores Donutici Wrote: I simply stop reading if whatever I am reading supports their info with depictions from the Column.

That would mean chucking out the vast majority of historical studies of the Roman army.

(06-03-2016, 07:31 PM)Protectores Donutici Wrote: do we have any idea how accurate the depictions are on the column?

Some details appear to be inaccurate - at least to our current understanding. But a lot of it certainly isn't - this is detail chiselled into stone, on an imperial monument erected in the centre of Rome, quite probably with input from people actually involved in the campaign it depicts. It has its own visual language, a lot of which we don't understand that well, but it's an invaluable source on what 2nd century Romans thought their army looked like on campaign, and they necessarily had a far better idea of these things than we do.

I've noticed that a lot of reenactors who may turn up their noses at the 'inaccurate' depiction of armour on the column will happily use the shield designs, which are far less likely to be authentic!
Nathan Ross
I found a life-size roman soldier statue dressing an armour similar to those on the trajan's column but i don't know if this statue is ancient or maybe a modern artefact.
Any informations?

https://www.hampel-auctions.com/o/Panzer...cl=1200676
(02-06-2020, 12:04 AM)ciro Wrote: I found a life-size roman soldier statue dressing an armour similar to those on the trajan's column but i don't know if this statue is ancient or maybe a modern artefact.
Any informations?

My first guess would be 19th century.
There is coherence between the representations of the Trajan column, of the other monuments and of the finds from the period. So I would say very accurate.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
According to the website this statue is dated to 2nd .- 3rd century AD but in my opinion there aren't examples to compare with, neither fragments, so or this statue is a real "unicum" (the Hampel fine arts auctions of Munich in Germany values the statue 300.000 euros and maybe they know informations about it that we don't know) or the statue is a fake and i can't believe that an important auction house can sell by passing it as an original.
(02-06-2020, 12:04 AM)ciro Wrote: I found a life-size roman soldier statue dressing an armour similar to those on the trajan's column but i don't know if this statue is ancient or maybe a modern artefact.
Any informations?

(02-07-2020, 08:16 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: There is coherence between the representations of the Trajan column, of the other monuments and of the finds from the period. So I would say very accurate.

There isn't much point copying a style if it doesn't look like other monuments from that same period.
(02-08-2020, 07:19 AM)Dan Howard Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 08:16 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: There is coherence between the representations of the Trajan column, of the other monuments and of the finds from the period. So I would say very accurate.
There isn't much point copying a style if it doesn't look like other monuments from that same period.
Do you want to check all the Roman monuments in which the legionaries have the lorica segmentata? There are also monuments showing the Praetorians wearing lorica segmentata.

That is, the Trajan column is much more reliable than some "theorists" today.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,375 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,135 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  A question about last scene on Trajan Column diegis 8 2,878 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Last Post: fgdfv%5e%fgdj2Q%