Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks
I don't plan to release these old one, but if a chance presents itself I might make new ones.

Notice that each caption is a different attempt/attack, they are not instances of the same attack.
It must have seemed to me too vulnerable a spot not to try an attack. Also you have a general lack of good targets once you have a Hoplite with his shield and helmet in front of you.
If you don't miss, it is a good idea, in one of the photos I have missed, and am receiving a powerful blow on the side of the helmet.

At that time it was impossible to determine if the blows to the back of my neck were fatal, but from the videos it is obvious that none of them would have been fatal and perhaps wouldn't have inflicted even the smallest wound to me. The neck guard of the helmet is expertly designed to either deflect, or "contain" the blows, so that they are guided towards empty space and not my back. This happened again and again. The shield and its domed shape and rim also protect from powerful strikes. Finally, the spolas has an additional neck guard, which now makes clear what kind of blows it protected you from. The bell cuirass has a collar all around the neck and throat.

The downside is that you make yourself vulnerable when you bent down with s big shield and helmet. You are not so quick to stand up and if your attempt fails, it is possible that you are hit hard or even fall.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-13-2016, 06:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear JaM 247 79,634 12-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Bryan