Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Novel..need help!
I'm writing a historical novel on a centurion in the Italian cohort in Judea in A.D. 30. Since this was a citizen cohort what equipment was used?
James Ajiduah
(06-22-2016, 10:54 PM)LonginusXXI Wrote: I'm writing a historical novel on a centurion in the Italian cohort in Judea in A.D. 30. Since this was a citizen cohort what equipment was used?

Hi James
First off, welcome to RAT, a great place to find information and to have lively discussion.
Secondly, you posted in the wrong place - questions about fiction need to be posted under 'References and Reviews', and then under 'book club'.
Thirdly, to part answer your question, what you've asked sounds a bit like, 'tell me everything about the Roman army in AD 30'. It would take an age to give you even half the information you needed. Your best bet is to go and buy some decent textbooks on the Roman army. A good starting point is The Complete Roman Army by Adrian Goldsworthy. Ancient Greece and Rome at War by Peter Connolly is also excellent. The Imperial Roman Army by Graham Webster is good. There are numerous Osprey books on the soldiers you need too. Avoid Dando-Collins book on the legions - it's full of inaccuracies.

Good luck.

Ben
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Moved. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)