Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focale
JMJ -

I am going to make myself a focale, but am not sure what dimensions to make it.  I read on another website to make it a 36' square, but here I am reading to make it a long rectangle. 

Can anyone give me the dimensions of theirs?
YBIC
Mike S.
We only have evidence of scarfs having basically the same shape as today. None of the triangular Hollywood boy scout stuff. We see them worn in a simple looped knot, and sometimes even more stylishly when undressed. Others may show a few more things.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c..._XVIII.jpg
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
I agree a simple scarf, length and width down to your choice , remmember it is to make your armour comfortable around the neck area so it is down to what armour you are wearing. Other than a simple knot you can use a small paenula broach to fasten if the knot is to bulky.If memory serves me right I believe Trajans column shows Auxilla with scarfs just knotted.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Do we have any indication of scarf brooches? Never seen that anywhere so far...
Simple answer is no but a few reeanacters In Brittania have used small broaches to fasten the front of the Focale which means the scarf lies flat around the shoulders. There are a lot of small broaches just search for small roman broaches and click images, 
Some have scale bars next to them hope this gives you a better idea, I just prefer the simple knot used with a fine wool Smile
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Yeah, I know the fact that it is a serious case of reenactorism. Just wanted to make sure I haven't glossed over any relevant knowledge on this Smile I also prefer a small knot, if you use some fine linen, it can easily be tucked under anything as well.
I use a long linen scarf, folded double and wound twice around the neck, good against chafing & sunburn Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
JMJ -

Thanks for the info guys. I purchased some linen to make a simple cincture and for another project. I bought a lot so I can make a focale. I also bought some dye to make it red, and I am going to leave my tunic white.
YBIC
Mike S.