Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metallurgy and Roman swords
I'm not saying it was low quality or that they didnt use it (enough to say that some 3-4 AD spathas are insanely complicated) but lack of technology combied with huge expenses in steel making in ancient world led to soft steel. Of course, if you were damn rich, you could pay huge amount of gold for the best avaible sword but that wasn't common case.

If we use bronze sword, does it bend? Yes
If we use steel sword, does it bend? No.
If we use "soft steel" which has HV the same like bronze, does it bend? Yes.

And we have sources saying abut bending swords.

Steel making wasn't easy and every single way to make a steel with technology ancient could knew, is too expensive. Enought to say that romans couldnt make big steel plates opposite to medieval. That's enough to think about their steel technology.

Steel is not just steel. There are different types of steel, like low-carbon, not-heat threated and heat-threated steel. Only last one is stronger than bronze and until medieval it was very rare.

But the biggest rumour Ive see in the Internet about metals is that iron replaced bronze becasue it was better. This is the biggest rubbish ever.
Shame I don't remember where I found this thing about bronze swords but if I will again, I will post it.
Damian

Messages In This Thread
Metallurgy and Roman swords - by Flavivs Aetivs - 07-17-2016, 09:49 PM
RE: Metallurgy and Roman swords - by XorX - 07-20-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: International living history standards - by Damianus Albus - 07-18-2016, 08:31 AM