Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master of Offices in the West
Ave Civitas,

I am researching for a novel about Alaric.  I would like a listing of the Masters of Offices both in the East and in the west with the dates they served.

I have found a listing of who was who among the praetorian praefects, but not much about the Master of Offices.

Can anyone point me to a listing?

As always, thank you.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I don't think there is one. But Meghan McEvoy's book on child Emperor rule talks a lot about the people who held certain positions, and might have info on the Magistri Officiorum of the time.
Here you go:

Prosopography of the LRE - Magistri Officiorum
Nathan Ross
Thank you. I guess I will have to break down and buy both the volumes. >Groan<
AKA Tom Chelmowski

They are both available at Scribd if you have a subscription.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Mr. Kerr,

Thanks for the reply.  I am a member of Scribd.  I did a search for The Prosopography Of The Later Roman Empire and got a long list of books, but not that one.

Is there some trick that I don't know of?

Thanks.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

My apologies, it seems that Scribd has removed the Cambridge University Press versions since I got them about a year ago. You can download a "Dumbarton Oak - Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire Version 1" which covers AD 260 to 395 but it appears that there are no Volume 2 versions on the site now.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
(07-30-2016, 02:23 PM)Michael Kerr Wrote: My apologies, it seems that Scribd has removed the Cambridge University Press versions since I got them about a year ago. You can download  a "Dumbarton Oak - Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire Version 1" which covers AD 260 to 395 but it appears that there are no Volume 2 versions on the site now.
Regards
Michael Kerr

Okay, thanks.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/prosopog...mpire.html
only GBP245, which is not overmuch as the pound is relatively low. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I was very lucky in 2008 when someone I know alerted me to the fact that Oxbow had a sale on which included the complete set of the The Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire for only £150, it should have been £850! I would suggest keeping an eye on Oxbow as you never know if the set will appear in another sale.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I am, just bought some books that have been on my list for a very long time! Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(08-03-2016, 09:08 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: I am, just bought some books that have been on my list for a very long time! Smile

Good tips.  I will watch.
Thanks
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master of Ceremonies - Grand Consistory Lothia 9 558 03-03-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Lothia