Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
why are you asking me? dont you have historical sources which tells you how long Dory was?  i guess if I quote CHris Matthew again you will not be pleased Big Grin

and for those 15minutes.. if one group could use spears without any physical reduction in effectivity for more than 15 minutes, and other was completely cnackered after just 5 minutes, i would guess that first group would just walk all over the second group in real fight with ease... fatigue in melee combat is the most important thing.. who can hold longer wins... besides, people are not suicidal.. they would not endanger themselves unnecessarily... they would want to keep the distance from enemy and hit them from safe distance.. only very small percentage of people in population is intentionally suicidal, and would actively search to kill an enemy in a fight.. huge majority would instead, try to keep themselves out of harm, and only then try to hit the enemy... many historical battle descriptions say that huge majority of losses happened when one side broke and tried to run... winning side just butchered whatever they could catch...
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by JaM - 08-11-2016, 06:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,940 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno