Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
I've read about his findings, just not from his book. You've copied and pasted enough pages from his book around the internet that it wasn't hard tracking his theory and read. Besides, as I've stated before, Chris Matthew's findings aren't new, especially on this forum, where underhand vs overhand has been done to death a thousand times over, up there with legion vs phalanx when it comes to repeated, many page threads.

Saying people's shoulders got tired after 15 minutes is not "information backing his findings," anymore than your repeated claims that 2 minutes was the limit for using an overhand grip (simply false). A 15 minute test of standing in a hoplite fighting stance is hardly realistic, in real life before their shoulders become tired their legs will cramp and they will gas out from cardio. Other muscles will tire. Because battle isn't just about how a spear is held. As I asked you repeatedly, but you refused to answer, hoplite combat isn't decided by the muscular endurance of the right deltoid muscles, if the warriors arm gets tired from using the overhand grip, that warrior can rest the forward part of the shaft of their spear temporarily on the top edge of the aspis with no difficulty, without sacrificing their ability to swiftly attack.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks - by Bryan - 08-13-2016, 06:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,933 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno