Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
Aspis is circular not square... it doesn't have same height everywhere, parts are lower only middle part is high.. and you would not have dory over the middle part but more to the outer parts.

Besides, i remember seeing some reenactment made from cadets at (i think it was) WestPoint who used spears (no spearheads, just a training soft poles) in such position in mass against another mass charging. Guys described quite a shock seeing all those points getting at them..

All these pictures are not showing formations, These are duels at most so practically irrelevant. and those which portray some sort of formation, like Cigi vase, also shows ankyles painted on those javelins.. which is quite a big point towards those being javelins and not spears..

on the pictures you gave, it is quite obvious how much stress it would create on the wrist, and whole arm.. as i mentioned before, in a combat, you dont want to use a technique that will make you tired faster. simple things works best.. things where you dont spend a lot of energy on movement. putting the spear on the rim of the shield and pushing it straight forward is very simple move...

yet, i would not want to diverge again, there are still those points about spear balance, which are quite fundamental thing to the fighting style.. Maybe it would be good idea send some feedback to Thrand and ask him to try this with properly weighted and balanced dory.

and i must admit, i was wrong about him. I have considered him to be some youtuber who does these things just for views. (there are tons of such guys on youtube, claiming stuff and using some lazy replicas bought cheap from ebay)but it seems he actually cares to get things as close to reality as it gets which i do respect.

And also, please understand, that i'm not defending something without reason. If i'm presented with good evidence i'm ready to admit i was wrong. i dint come here to prove i have patent for ultimate knowledge, but to discuss part of history i'm passioned about, and even learn something new.
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,928 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno