Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
I've noticed from your posts in TWR forum that you like bringing up the Cigi vase to discount the overhead grip. Have you ever seen what it looked like before the missing parts of the paint that faded over time were "touched up"?  Here's what it really looks like, not the pics you usually post. Show me the ankyles (they would be in the top left, but they don't appear because they aren't there)

[Image: Chigi.jpg]

There is nothing at all unnatural about a hammer fist grip, like this one here, which is essentially what an overhand grip is. It doesn't create any stress on the wrist, you could tape off the wrist like for a boxer and it would't impede the use of the spear at all. Biometrically, it puts the least strain on the wrist and forearm. 

Now compare that to Matthew's medium guard underhanded grip, similar to this one here. Notice the angle of the wrist? How its curved down? That is actually cutting off blood circulation and putting stress on the nerves, its why people develop carpal tunnel and other wrist disorders, because the hand isn't designed to be held at that angle. 

Lastly, you keep going on and on about "tired faster". As I've demonstrated quite clearly, based on angles and distances, standing in a guard that only allows for minimum ability to actually hurt an enemy, then stamina wont matter, because the opponent doesn't need to stand there and allow you to poke a little straight at his face, in a telegraphing manner, they can block and parry with their shield, close the distance, and spear you from over the rim of your own shield. 

If the whole line of phalanx is holding their spears in Matthew's underhand medium guard, then everyone on the other side can do the same thing, block, parry the spear up, duck a bit while moving forward and pass the spear point, and then thrust into the shocked mouth of your enemy using an overhand downward thrust that will clear the enemy's upper shield rim. 

Thus I win, simply by using my spear in a manner in a more effective manner than you are. I can be a fat, out of shape, couch potato and you could be a triatholon with giant muscles, but my spear will end up in your mouth and your's wont do anything. Because when it comes to close in fighting as a phalanx, overhand beats under. Even the Greek potter slaves knew this. When dueling, in many ways the underhand has the edge (when not used rigidly as Matthew proposes) because it allows for not only lower thrusts but also by simply lifting your hand you can attack from the medium or high guard (though the most power of the thrust will come from an upwards angled low guard trust, based on body mechanics). But this just doesn't work out in phalanx vs. phalanx, because of the lack of freedom of movement (only forward, no side to side, or back pedaling) that Hoplites had, and the danger of having your spear tip passed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Bryan - 08-18-2016, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,936 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno