Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
you mean this?

[Image: 15746244084_687360e634_b.jpg]

ankyle is visible quite clear there...  (its not my original idea.. i got guys from Rome Total Realism doing research for me while working on R2TR, besides, this picture i didnt got from Chris Matthew, but from two works about ankyle use in ancient times. Chigi was just one of many)

ah, one of them is on academia.edu

https://www.academia.edu/1406260/Throwin..._the_Throw

but this one is short one, remember reading one work which was much longer on this topic. In this one they were trying to prove it was possible to throw Dory, but they had to construct javelin without sauroter because when they used it, balance was too off and it couldn't be thrown. If I find the second one, i will post it here, but its been like 2 years i've read it... who knows if its still online (and btw, its a bit strange study, speeds they measured were way too low, so not sure what exactly they were measuring.. but with release speed 2.96m/s javelin would not fly to 16m. yet, the whole point showing how effective ankyle was is correlating with what i read in the second one, just reported release values differed way too much)
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,933 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno