Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-22-2016, 10:04 AM)JaM Wrote: but let me go back to the pushing theory -   combat is not reenactment. guy in front of you wants to kill you.. so If I was fighting somebody in front of me, and somebody from the second rank would push me to my back, i would see him same enemy as that guy in the front...  thats a perfect way how to rout own men, destroy their morale and lose a battle. If anything, guys in the front rank need to feel support from the rear ranks... but pushing them towards danger thats perfect way how to start panic.

You obviously need to read my 2011 paper or my book if you think Lindy disproves anything I say.  In fact what he describes supports the idea of my late crowd-like othismos rather than the Orthodox charge to push. 

It is ironic that you attempt to counter me with "combat is not reenactment" because I believe that is exactly why Mathew got it wrong.  He and his crew were playing a game with no sharps, and that changes everything.  Many weekend warriors have opined on spear use from their experience in a game that does not allow face shots!  All of the shield-prodding that you read of is great in a game with a duct taped spear, but less so when your jab gets your spear suck in the face of my willow aspis and I kill you.

If you were fighting someone in front of you that is pushing you back with their shield, it would be the responsibility of the man behind you to support you.  Or do you think you can just jump back out of the shield line as he comes on?  No one forces you into the enemy spears, the rear ranks only close up after the front ranks have collapsed to shield on shield, a point at which the 8' dory is useless.  This is why it only happens after spear-fencing and then only in some battles.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,937 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno