Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
I agree with Paul B. and how could I not, since I have been with him testing the damned things!
I have tried every kind of spear, center balanced, rear balanced, thin, thick, tapered and not. I have found no way an underhand grip is superior to overhand.

In a close formation of two to four ranks I found the underhand grip unbearable to hold at a high position, since I couldn't lower it due to shields overlapping.

And why are we not mentioning the variety of sarauters and the variety of spear point weights? There are spear points which weigh 450 gr and there are a huge number of sauroters which are very much smaller and lighter than your famous pyramidal 350 gr ones. And still, many detailed depictions and statues show no sauroters

To be honest all this discussion seems nonsensical to me, since many people have actually tried the things. The underhand grip works only for those that have not done even mock fighting and blunt spears and they like to look static and much like the 300 movie Spartans...

In my own non scientific experiment, I couldn't pierce a rusted steel barrel with underarm only dent it. And I couldn't do even this if I was in overlapped shields!
I could pierce a little with overhand grip.
I could pierce substantially more with a throw, both from long and short distance.

To JaM, without being disrespectful, I suggest you spend some money and time in obtaining what would be ANY kind of an accurate spear, and some time testing it, before you are so categorical to your conclusions. If I sound a bit arrogant it is only because I have tried many of the things with what I consider to be an accurate tapered spear with correct points, and with full archaic Hoplite panoply of correct fit and weight, occasionally worn for eight hours a day, for days in a row. What you find out from participating in such events is not conclusive, because you never replicate actual combat meant to kill, but in many respects they are convincing, in one way or another.

Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,932 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno