Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-22-2016, 06:07 PM)JaM Wrote: but we are not talking about fighting but pushing with shields... that's my main concern.. Paul himself wrote that push was there only after spears were broken..

Fighting and pushing with shields weren't separate, both happened at once. 

I can't say for sure but from his previous writings it appears to me that Paul is saying is that there were different stages to hoplite battle, and at the closest stage when both sides not only were going shield to shield, but actively shoving in unison, that by then the front rankers best weapon would likely be a sword. I generally agree with that, but I wonder if the spear could still be used in bad breath distance during Othismos.

You've also stated in the past that no shield to shield combat happened (claiming it was too suicidal), and you've stated that pushing occurred when someone placed their spear on an opponent's shield face and pushed them back that way (which just doesn't work as a unit wide fighting tactic, and physics would disagree). I'd like to see some proof for either claim.

(08-22-2016, 06:15 PM)Paul Bardunias Wrote: Mathew's objections to my othismos were all disproven last fall with Giannis and the group at marathon.  While he wrote that the men could not generate large forces and if they did the aspis would be crushed, we generated close to half a ton and no shields or men were harmed.

Do you have videos of this I can see?

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Bryan - 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,937 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno