Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-22-2016, 06:18 PM)Bryan Wrote: Fighting and pushing with shields weren't separate, both happened at once. 

Do you have videos of this I can see?

Yes, fighting with the sword was an obligate part of othismos.  In the early period, when spears were shorter, they may well have used them too.  The 8' dory, if rear balanced can't be choked up on enough for this.

I'll put some videos up on You tube or my blog once the book is out and I check with the other guys.  I can show you a pic now.  Here is a file of 8 putting out over 200kg peak pressures and sustaining at least 160kg just by leaning.  I will let Giannis describe what it is like to be in it if he wishes, I was stuck recording.  In this posture their right arms are quite free for fighting.  You will note that the first aspis is mine and that is 200kg against that small steel block on the tree that measures pressure.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,925 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno