Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-22-2016, 06:45 PM)JaM Wrote: that picture is a moot - tree doesn't push at you... force would be doubled with same number of men pushing against you... basic physics...  and of course, you have single file.. with locked shields, it would be not a single file, but multiple rows at once which would quadruple the force.. really not something anybody in his sane mind would want to be in.. at least not in a front rank..

Quote:The reason this technique works with sarissa is that opposing every single Roman has to fight his way past 5-10 sarissa tips to make it to sword distance of the Macedonian phalanx. Should the Roman charge, or not retreat against the Macedonian style phalanx advance, then they will get stuck against spear points (which might penetrate the thinner scutum), or at the very least prevent them from getting close enough to the enemy to thrust/cut them with a gladius.

not really, because those other sarrissas are  half a meter away... they dont have variable length..

From the viewpoint of the Romans they have variable length, because the bearers of the sarissa are staggered, held low, and are close enough together laterally to make passing them very difficult.

(08-22-2016, 06:43 PM)Paul Bardunias Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 06:18 PM)Bryan Wrote: Fighting and pushing with shields weren't separate, both happened at once. 

Do you have videos of this I can see?

Yes, fighting with the sword was an obligate part of othismos.  In the early period, when spears were shorter, they may well have used them too.  The 8' dory, if rear balanced can't be choked up on enough for this.

I'll put some videos up on You tube or my blog once the book is out and I check with the other guys.  I can show you a pic now.  Here is a file of 8 putting out over 200kg peak pressures and sustaining at least 160kg just by leaning.  I will let Giannis describe what it is like to be in it if he wishes, I was stuck recording.  In this posture their right arms are quite free for fighting.  You will note that the first aspis is mine and that is 200kg against that small steel block on the tree that measures pressure.

Nice. The picture looks like Steven Pressfield's description of "tree f***ing" from Gates of Fire.  Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Bryan - 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,928 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno