Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
It seems that you feel a need for everything to be written down in a scholarly manner in a book, or else it doesn't hold truth. There are many ways to make a spear, to hold a spear, that thrust or even slash with a spear, to change grips with a spear, and it seems you would like all these somehow documented and written down in a book.

Well, one of the benefits of reenactment is that provided you put enough effort in order to create the right tools, i.e. As close to the originals as possible, you can answer many of these questions by yourself.

Yes, the things have been tried in a formation of four ranks by eight shields, the overhand works just fine. The underhand, well it works as well in theory, but I have seen a pointed sauroter in front of my eyeslits and I didn't want the man in front of me even pretend to fight.

One of the possible reasons they didn't always opt for a rear weighted spear is perhaps exactly this. In overhand you usually hold your spear at a slight downward angle. The longer the shaft behind your hand, the higher the butt spike rests over the rear rankers' heads.

The sauroter can become dangerous also in overhand, when you hold the spear next to your ear.
This is a very useful grip, that you can use to rest your arm of not actively using your spear. It has the advantage that the spear is still pointing the enemy and is ready to use, yet the you use no force to keep your spear up, and you can even rest the shaft on the rim of your shield.

Paul B. demonstrated to us at Marathon how one can shift from spear on the ground into horizontal overhand grip in very close formation without threatening the men around him. Works best with a rear weighted spear. You first raise the arm high above your head and then change grip. Otherwise most people find it natural to change grip on the side at the hight of their head, which can be dangerous in close formation.

So again Jaroslav, join the ranks and try the things yourself. It is more convincing than reading other people's opinions and some times dubious experiments on scholarly books.

After all, I can't convince you with my own experiences, but you can convince yourself ;-)
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,936 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno