Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-23-2016, 12:22 PM)JaM Wrote: Personally, i see multiple issues with the overarm theory, starting with spear balancing towards its rear, with quite problematic movement with the spear within closed ranks (closed ranks = you would not be able to put spear in vertical position) or comparing the actual reach and spear control with both overarm and underarm, sustainability of thrusts, possible type of wounds vs typical protection used, etc etc... there are many aspects that people always forget to consider...

And of course, there is this whole notion of over-stressing the vase paintings..

I am not sure why you believe there is a problem with a rear weighted spear overhand.  By definition, you are holding it at the mid-point of the weight distribution, and it is exactly like holding a plain spear in the middle.  In fact, the weighting and taper I think are evidence for overhand, because you can more easily hold an underhand spear back from its balance point and the weighting is less important. 

As to raising the spear in the press, this is quite easy, but you would have to see it done.  I showed them at Marathon how the spear was raised.  You hold the shaft, thumb down- as can be seen on many vases.  This eliminates that whole section of Mathew's book on changing the grip- in never happened, the spear is always held thumb towards the sauroter.  I can raise my dory with a man at my back and front.

As for accuracy, I am much more accurate overhand and practice by hitting a hanging softball on a rope.  This should be obvious because you throw most accurately overhand and the overhand strike is just a throw that you don't let go (or you could if you are Thrand).

Holding the spear is only fatiguing if you hold your arm up in the air the whole time.  Put your hand by your shoulder and this goes away.  Toss the spear a few inches past the balance point and you can sit like that all day.  Hoplites also seem to be making use of a neat bit of physics by holding the spear angled down in front.  This greatly reduces the torque on the hand and is a better position to parry than holding the spear straight out.

Reach?  See below.  Note that my overhand arm is not even fully extended because the one advantage of underarm is that I cannot hold the spear at full extension in overhand.  But in a strike there is no reach advantage.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,939 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno