Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
Giannis K. Hoplite: you should probably re-read the whole thread, because the point of weighted spear was risen by me when Bryan came with Thrand video. Weighted spear gives you ability to use the spear easily from the rear end (Thrand used is holding it in the front, and sliding the spear in his palm with a throwing motion, which seems quite effective technique, but as i said before, with a back heavy spear, its much more problematic)

And my questions to Paul are mostly to the usability of the spear area. accuracy with it, sustainability, and fatigue. he suggested me to try it with a broomstick and i admit, i don't have dory to practice, but did try it with something resembling it, with a weighted back. Yes, i could hold it overarm and underarm, yet when i hit the solid object while thrusting for several minutes, i felt much more fatigue with overarm grip than with underarm..

I've seen tables Paul provided before, and i told you why i find those values strange. They don't fit up with the base kinematic of human body, for the same trajectory Connoly gets much lower speed than others get. I'm not saying he is totally wrong in everything he wrote so far, just because he made mistake, and i kinda have that approach to every work i read so far... maybe Chris Matthew made some mistakes in his work, but that doesn't automatically make all his finding faulty. Instead, i wanna find out what precisely was in his work faulty... If i didn't had such approach, i would just dismiss practically every single historian who ever published some work, because everybody makes mistakes. and I said multiple times that once Paul's book is out, i will read it, and if I find those arguments answering my questions, i have no problem defending his book afterwards...

on a side note, if everybody always took word of somebody as granted, we would still believe world is flat on a back of a turtle...
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,933 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno