Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
on a side note, look what i found - Thrand defending underarm for a tight formation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q50S2Vdd-zI

I'm guessing this was before he started with that throwing slide.

Giannis K. Hoplite:
regarding the phalanx, i think i have somewhere a screenshot from that book

[Image: 9p19.jpg]

why would this be impossible in a formation?  Only issue I see is the fact they are way too close on each other, 45cm is way too small distance, 60cm would be probably much more serviceable and you would not even hit guy behind shield that way..

and i will comment on that video, i saw it some time ago and had my concerns about it, mostly to the technique that guy used with overarm.

Also, when Paul gets here, i would like him to explain what did Matthew wrong during spear positioning into ready position with overarm (moving from vertical to horizontal in formation):

[Image: o2it.png]

and also, as he posted the very similar picture, here is the trajectory pictures from Matthew book:

[Image: j8y1.png]
with the overarm (besides the obvious weight of sauroter issue, as he is holding it a bit more forward, but thats on all three grips) ending point is quite down below, as your own palm would practically force it down if thumb aims back.
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,942 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno