Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
Phillip was never mentioned as an author of a Pike Phalanx.. Alexander is (not the Great one)

Quote:This is not possible with an underhanded grip

Of course it is... (and so far, nobody actually shown me why its not possible, you just try to show that overarm is better  - If Matthew is semi-right about the thrust speed for his undearm thrust, then 8.3m/s combined with a 1.3kg dory gives you 44 joules of KE... thats not that bad...)..  and nobody say they would have to stick with that grip no matter what... you could easily move the spear even to overarm if you have to.. but i'm saying that actual need was for the longer reach, and actual real battle were not fought at such close proximity as many think.. mind you, just 30 years back, everybody thought Roman Infantry was fighting with swords, exchanged the lines for fresh men and only used the javelins at the charge.. then A. Zhmodikov wrote his work and now everybody is claiming the same... so i would be very careful drawing some quick conclusions without having the complete picture.

and your example from a war, tell me, how exactly were Iraqi insurgents capable in close combat? I guess not so much, yet i really doubt anybody was there running around fighting them hand to hand just because they were not good at it...
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,939 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno