Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
that's a very nice black swan Smile

regarding the second one, yes, but that one is held in the middle, so of course it would interfere like that. I didn't suggested otherwise, my point was that middle grip is not something suitable for the close formation no matter the grip.

but back to swans. Personally, i don't believe in YES/NO or Black/White theory.. thing is, truth is sometimes in the middle, and both sides might be correct in different aspects you might miss, if you just dismiss it all by choosing one or another.  Must say that due to this discussion, I'm inclined to believe that spears were used both over and underarm,crouched or refused, based on what situation required. I would not dismiss either use, because both have their advantages, and even Thrand thrown slide could be easily the way how other cultures used their universal spear/javelins like lonchae or gallic heavy spears (which were quite point-heavy)

anyway as i said, i will definitely read your book when it comes out (any ETA?) and provide feedback.
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-24-2016, 08:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,925 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno