Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-24-2016, 08:23 PM)JaM Wrote:   Must say that due to this discussion, I'm inclined to believe that spears were used both over and underarm,crouched or refused, based on what situation required.

A wise Spartan once said "How much better to make your enemies your friends".  I do not think any of us could argue with your position now.  I am sure all of those grips were used.  We see all of them on vases.  But they had their place and time.  I believe the time for underhand was not in the phalanx, but it would be stupid to think no hoplite in the long history of the phalanx ever did so.

(08-24-2016, 08:48 PM)Giannis K. Hoplite Wrote: Paul, the "friendly fire" image makes me think that the ancients too had a similar debate like ours. Obviously someone wanted to make the point "DON'T USE UNDERHAND GRIP"! And i'm sure his argument was based in real situations...

It is a great image isn't it.  I could also see it as some badass with enemies coming at him from both sides thinking they have an easy kill, then he goes all Jackie Chan on them.  I think a lot of what we see on vases was influenced by that period after one taxis broke when as we are told in Laches, martial arts skill finally become useful.  If the artist are trying to depict single combat, only in those moments will they have seen it.  And yes, I see that as a much better time for underhand.

That said, the lack of armor might have been a means of conveying he was a man who stood behind in the file.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-24-2016, 09:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,925 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno