Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(08-25-2016, 08:09 AM)JaM Wrote: Paul: can you post any detailed picture about your spear grip? (maybe taken from other side?) i tried it myself (not sure i have it right) but it was very awkward for me to hold the spear, as my  little finger got quite pressed by the shaft (and the shaft i have is just 0.6kg), not sure my finger bone would sustain any thrusting (was quite painful after a while..)  Palm of the hand seems to me much more stable, and pain-free..

Ok, this is funny, and its my fault.  I uploaded the fgure but not the caption.  You cannot hold the dory extended outward in overhand.  It can only be extended as part of a moving strike.  So how do you take a picture of the spear's reach?  You curl your pinky under, and stand frozen like that for over a minute while your wife figures out how to take the pic.  So, no you do not really put your pinky under.  I have other pics where I had my son hold the tip while my arm was at full extension, but figured that might be more confusing.  You hold it on the palm, then pretend to throw it without letting go.

Will there be Polish winged hussars in your game?

(08-25-2016, 10:45 AM)JaM Wrote:  as i said before,  you cant take art too literally, because artists are not soldiers. 

To this I would say you can't have it both ways.  You cannot use art to show that all overhand spears are thrown (which I have a feeling you would no longer support) and get upset when someone shows what is as drawn obviously 2 men in close combat- one in overhand the other with sword.

That said, I do believe that some of the overhand inages are thrown spears. Maybe even the Chigi.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,933 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno