Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
ok, but you realize such movement should withstand the shock of the continuous hits? its not just about the length but also about being able to hit something reliably and with some force at that distance? Because must say, i had enough just after few hits, and with repeated hits, id rather held the spear with all fingers around it.

And regarding force, i don't have any means to measure anything, but overall i felt the strongest hits from underarm using same trajectory as with usual direct punch. Id say, you would probably connect more body weight and muscles strength into it, while with Overarm its more about throwing motion, which means you are counting on the momentum of the spear itself. (so technically, would be probably interesting to know what type of muscle tissue hoplites had developed the most... slow/strong one, or the fast/dynamic one..)

Overall, i think the best way how to verify the theory would be to have some volunteers, and drill them for a month or two so they would get into shape while using the panoply, and then have them

(no hussars this time, but who knows what future will bring)
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,939 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno