Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(09-06-2016, 10:57 PM)Paul Bardunia Wrote: I have taken the time to post some .gifs that I hope explain the proper overhand strike and the way a dory was carried into battle that nullified that whole string of arguments on how to change grip while advancing.

http://hollow-lacedaimon.blogspot.com/

The images should clarify that underhand only has a reach advantage if you plan on holding the spear extended with your arm all the way out.  As you can see from my need to use my pinky to support the shaft you cannot do this with overhand.  But no one in their right mind would do this unless you are A)fending off cavalry or B)playing a game of fighting were the weakest of strikes counts as a "hit".  If you hold your arm out in a static extension you will be knocked aside.  Even sarissaphoroi, who maximized reach, did not stand with their arms extended forward.

Very Interesting Thanks for taking the trouble, makes perfect sense to me Smile

unfortunatly still cant give ratings +1
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Crispianus - 09-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,933 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno