Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
(09-08-2016, 05:02 PM)JaM Wrote: Dan:  Tube and yoke armor if made from leather would be not that great at protecting against spear thrusts anyway ( do i remember it right - Dr Williams managed to penetrate  hardened leather with just 30 joules? ). Plus, with the weighted spear, based on Pauls gifs, actual trajectory of the spear doesn't have that distinct downward path.. so shoulder padding could be used as protection against any attack over the shield rim.

Also, i guess once shields are locked together in formation, you would be unable to rise it up to deflect projectiles, therefore shoulder doubling would be something that could provide some protection against missiles, i see no reason why they should be used just because of the spear thrusts.

The protectiveness of leather is completely dependent on how sharp the weapon is.  With anything by a razor edge, the 5mm side I made my t-y out of was proof against javelins and my dory.  When I ground a razor edge on instead of the factory edge it went through disturbingly easily.  As you say though, the shoulder is one of the few places exposed when behind an aspis.  When flighting close-in, a helmet like a pilos will shed overhand strikes or stabs nicely, but they will be directed down to the shoulder, so having extra protection there is a benefit.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by Paul Bardunias - 09-08-2016, 06:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,936 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno