Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear
Quote:Except the Zulus. Around the time of Shaka they replaced their longer iklwa with the shorter assegai and changed to close-quarters underarm thrusts.

And lets not forget Medieval infantry (italic states used shield and spear infantry up to renaissance times), which tended to strap their shields to one arm so they could use spear in both hands underarm... Technically speaking, with two handed underarm thrust, you are not getting more speed than with one hand, you only add more power to the thrust..

plus, keeping spear in low underarm position is actually preferable when facing cavalry, as you can just simply brace the spear to the ground, same way as renaissance pikemen did it when facing cavalry, or even 18.century musketeers did this too with their muskets and attached bayonets when facing cavalry in a square.

My point is, both overarm and underarm spear uses have their advantages and disadvantages, and they would be used alongside based on situation what spearmen would see as appropriate. There was hardly some strict rule to not use the spear one way or another, which is why even pictographic evidence (vases) shows both uses in roughly 50:50 numbers..

And regarding thickness of T-Y armors, i think its most likely due to amount of protection these armors would have to provide.. 5-10mm thick would not provide enough of protection, therefore would be inadequate. I guess these would need to provide at least similar level of protection as bronze breastplates,which were typically 1-1.5mm thick, therefore, leather armor of similar protection level would have to be almost 2cm thick. (correct me if im wrong)
Jaroslav Jakubov

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Phalanx warfare: use of the spear - by JaM - 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalanx warfare: Closing of the ranks Anatol Wyss 82 45,936 12-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno