Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy?
(08-20-2016, 02:33 AM)Hasdrubal Wrote: I'm off for a wonderful two week vacation In Rome, Italy starting the last week of September. The wife and I have a lot planned. We've done a lot of research, but we still have a few questions. If anyone is familiar with the area I would be most gracious if you could help answer some of these questions.

1.) The wife and I like to walk, and we're going to walk the via Appia Antica on a Sunday. They say cars do not drive on the Via Appia Antica on Sundays, but I've heard otherwise. Looking at google Earth there is a good chunk of it that the street has a wall on both sides. That looks extremely dangerous to walk especially if cars are going to be driving on it. Is there another way to get to the scenic part of it; aka a better route?

2.) A shop were I can buy Roman clothing i.e Tunics, Belts, Caligae, etc.

3.) I believe there is a museum in Rome that has replica plates of Trajan's column. Anyone familiar with that particular museum?

4.) Restaurants advice would be sweet as well. 

Thanks!

1. cant help with that...

2. I do believe there is one as its been mentioned on the forum but unfortunatly I know not where it is...

3. I do believe this is in The Museo della Civiltà Romana http://en.museociviltaromana.it/collezio...otografica and much more, a bit of a dusty edifice but worth a look.

4. no such thing as a bad restaurant in rome in my experience and theres plenty of them, as the Romans enjoy eating out with family and friends particularly in the evening, ice cream cafes are also popular and some would say the best.

Try The Rough guide I found it very useful: http://www.roughguides.com/shop/rough-guide-rome/

Also The Vatican museum is worth a look but be prepared to spend the day so take a lunch...
And the Capitoline Museum houses the Dying Gaul again worth a look...

Last but not least Italians are helpfull and friendly in my experience and love to talk... so dont be afraid to ask.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy? - by Hasdrubal - 08-20-2016, 02:33 AM
RE: Anyone familiar with Rome, Italy? - by Crispianus - 08-20-2016, 06:55 AM