Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parazonium Reconstruction
Here my latest Parazonium Sword I have created. A Parazonium Sword is a shorter sword but longer than a dagger. It was a Sword made for and carried by either a Roman Emperor or the highest ranking Generals, showing power, authority or superiority. After beginning to research Parazoniums... I have found that there haven't been any found in archeological digs. They are however found in Roman Art and Statutory. This one is based on the Lucentum Forum archeological finding 2005. 

Here is a partial write up about the Statue Piece: Located in 2005 during the excavation campaign of the head of the Roman forum of the ancient Roman city of Lucentum, located in the Tossal of Manises (La Albufereta, Alicante). The fragment corresponding to the left hand and forearm of a bronze statue, made with the technique of lost wax, larger than life size. Among the palm and fingers, grab a sheathed sword hilt called parazonium (a type of sword carried by the Emperor, the senior army and divinities related to the military virtues).
This sculptural piece presents details that distinguish it as a unicum, ie, a piece that has elements that have not been documented so far. First the knob of the handle are two-headed eagle facing opposite sides, ie, double-headed. In Greco-Roman iconography sword hilts topped with the head of this bird are known, but it is the first time it appears double. Secondly there are swords and bronze hands loose, never in which both elements were united, as in many of stone statues. This has led to a proposal for some bronze sculptures that take the object in hand (now empty) would be a sword, as we think of the famous bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius found in the Capitoline Museums in Rome.

The example (On the Left) below is the artifact that is now exhibited in the MARQ Museum in Lucentum, Spain; my replica is on (the Right). 
[img][Image: Screen%20Shot%202016-09-04%20at%208.58.0...cccqlq.png][/img]
In developing the Hilt and blade, I elongated the grip and the guard Making it more comfortable in the hand and helping to bring balance to the blade.
The Double Headed Eagle Pommel is completely hand carved from African Mahogany. The Pommel, Mid-Ring and Guard Plate are guild in 23Kt. Gold Leaf. The Guard and Grip are carved from Premium White Holly (to simulate ivory). 
My first attempt at this Parazonium was in Antler; to simulate Ivory, Which, I can only imaging was used "IF" the Parazonium was actually created for an Emperor or General.
The antler did not work out too well because I could not find straight enough pieces that had thick enough walls before hitting the marrow. (I haven't given up on the antler way yet... I just need to find the right pieces.

I will be working on the Scabbard on it soon. 
Also... Thank you for your input when I began this project with the single Eagle Head Parazonium. I think you will like the shape of this blade better then the ones posted above. 
Please click on the pictures to get a better view. I hope you like this one... I am making another. If anyone had connections with that Museum... Please let me know.
Brillant piece of work Patrick Smile beauifuly carved and gold leaf. The only thing the hand  not carved as good Wink look forward to the blade fitted.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)