Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A list of each Roman helmets date?
Question 
Hello there,

I just wondered if somebody ever made a listing of all roman helmets there are and also at which time period they were used?
I tried to search for it as this is something many people can have profit from. So I thought this must be done by somebody already.

I especially look for everything between 175 a.d. - 225 a.d.

I recently read the Fischer book and after reading about a Theilenhofen Weisenau helmet that might be used till 200 a.d. I got curious. After googleing I found out that it looks like the Hebron helmet. After looking further a few sites state that it might be used around 200 a.d. as well.

Still need to look for that evidence though so my Mentor will finally give up and let us also use this helmet.

Best wishes

Robcore
I started the database of Roman helmets some years ago but when the server was changed, it was impossible to upload illustrations.

In any case, dating an object like a helmet depends on a number of factors and unless there is something specific, it's almost impossible to give anything more than a 'ball-park' figure for a date. I've continued adding to the database, as and when new finds are reported. Currently, there are just under 900 helmets included and there are more from private collections that I have yet to add. Most of the helms included are complete (or almost so) - I have not included things like cheek-guards for example.

There is also the fact that helmets could continue in use, long after newer models made their appearance. There are numerous references to helmet neck guards being engraved with three or four owners' names. If memory serves me right, there is a Coolus helm in the British Museum that has at least three owners listed. By far the largest number of helms is the Montefortino type. These were in use for around 400 years and millions of the things were made, I would imagine. I know of around 300 of them!
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
(10-01-2019, 09:42 PM)Caratacus Wrote: I started the database of Roman helmets some years ago but when the server was changed, it was impossible to upload illustrations.

In any case, dating an object like a helmet depends on a number of factors and unless there is something specific, it's almost impossible to give anything more than a 'ball-park' figure for a date. I've continued adding to the database, as and when new finds are reported. Currently, there are just under 900 helmets included and there are more from private collections that I have yet to add. Most of the helms included are complete (or almost so) - I have not included things like cheek-guards for example.

There is also the fact that helmets could continue in use, long after newer models made their appearance. There are numerous references to helmet neck guards being engraved with three or four owners' names. If memory serves me right, there is a Coolus helm in the British Museum that has at least three owners listed. By far the largest number of helms is the Montefortino type. These were in use for around 400 years and millions of the things were made, I would imagine. I know of around 300 of them!
Hi, how do we get access to this database, I currently have 7 genuine helmets in my collection

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,092 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
  Keeping up-to-date on Roman Archaeology - in particular Military and Gladiatorial! Bollox79 1 2,113 04-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Bollox79
  List of Roman Battles Roy 65 49,426 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Maximus Decimus