Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garrison of Jerusalem - AD30
If you start mailing (an electronic version of) this article, I would be very interested to receive a copy as well. Thanks!

Jona
ADSL294196 at tiscali dot nl
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Summary: There were two cohorts of auxiliaries in Jerusalem (at the old Herodian palace and at the fortress called Antonia): about thousand men. A third cohort guarded the capital Caesarea. Two cohorts of infantry and one squadron of cavalry served throughout the province.

Thank you for this, Jona. I'll look for this book. So, Jerusalem would've had two Tribunes...

Hello, Graham,

Quote:Hello Theodosius

I wrote and Illustrated an article for 'Military Illustrated' Magazine number 120 May 1998, called 'The Soldiers who Killed Christ: Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard,' which might be of interest to you.

Oh, wow. That does interest me.

I'll send a PM to you. Thanks ! Big Grin
Jaime
Quote:
Quote:As I recall they auriliaries in Judea were Samaritans rather than Jews and therefore there was a lot of animosity
Please not the difference between Samaritans and Samarians. Samarians are people from the city of Samaria, who had Roman citizenship and were also called Sebastiani; Samaritans are members of a religious community. (Cf. Roman Catholics, who are not necessarily living in Rome.)
[url:3u0ro2az]http://www.livius.org/saa-san/samaria/samaritans.htm[/url]
[url:3u0ro2az]http://www.livius.org/saa-san/samaria/samarians.htm[/url]
I had that confusion just a few days ago when checking something out online....and found that 'Samaria' and 'Samatia' were encompassed into one empire that stretched from Israel to somewhere on the Great Wall of China that Alexander had visited (did he go to China too Confusedhock: ) and the auxiliary cavalry in Jerusalem must have been Sarmatians as they were mentioned in the New Testament - :lol: :lol:
regards
Artjes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Perhaps I am missing a joke, but if not - the Samarians who lived all over Asia, are Sarmatians ([url:1lxy9mp5]http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sarmatians/sarmatians.html[/url]).
http://the auxiliary cavalry in Jerusale... Testament
The people mentioned in the gospels are Samaritans.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Perhaps I am missing a joke, but if not - the Samarians who lived all over Asia, are Sarmatians ([url:2wmp9ihh]http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sarmatians/sarmatians.html[/url]).
Quote:the auxiliary cavalry in Jerusalem must have been Sarmatians as they were mentioned in the New Testament
The people mentioned in the gospels are Samaritans.

Indeed! The Samaritan diaspora... Big Grin
Btw, nice article, but the picture is horrible - totally incorrect!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I found this from the Catholic Encyclopedia, explaining who the centurions were and which forces they commanded at the time of Christ :

Of the two centurions mentioned in the Gospels only one was a Roman officer. He who asked Our Savior to cure his servant and whose faith the Savior so highly commended (Matthew 8:5 sq.; Luke 7:2 sq.), though a gentile, belonged to the army of Herod Antipas, since Capharnaum lay in this Prince's territory. The tetrarch's army was probably organized after the manner of the Roman auxiliary troops. The other, who commanded the detachment of soldiers at the Crucifixion (Matthew 27:54, Mark 15:39,44, Luke 23:47) was of course an officer of the Imperial cohort stationed at Jerusalem (Acts 21:31). In the Acts two centurions are mentioned by name, Cornelius, centurion of "the Italian band" or cohort, the first gentile admitted into the Church (Acts 10:1 sq.) and Julius, centurion of the "band Augusta", who brought St. Paul to Rome (Acts 27:1, etc.). Others are spoken of in connection with the Apostle's arrest and transfer to Caesarea (Acts 21:32, 22:25, 23:23). Since no legion was stationed in Palestine before the time of Vespasian, these centurions all belonged to auxiliary cohorts. For this reason it was unlikely that either Cornelius or Julius was a member of the patrician family whose name he bore; both were probably the sons of freedmen.
Jaime
Hi

In response to a number of requests for my article from Military Illustrated magazine I emailed versions to a number of fellow RATers. Only Jona responded and that was to say that he could not open it! Did everyone else who I sent copies have the same problems?

Let me know and I will try and send them again.

Graham.

P.S Thanks Sean I have just seen your email to me, you got yours OK.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham,
Can I get a copy also..?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
I am also interested in the article.

Cheers,
Adam C.
[email protected]
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
I hate to be the 'me, too' guy, but -

Me, too, please
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Hi

Thanks for all the interest in my article. I should point out (because to be honest I had quite forgotten) that an updated and expanded version of the article from Military Illustrated magazine was reprinted in EXERCITUS. the bulletin of The Ermine Street Guard. Spring 2005 vol.3. no5.

Copies should be available from

Oakland Farm
Dog Lane
Witcombe
Gloucestershire
GL3 4UG
England

email: [email protected] for details on how best to order.

The issue also contains an article by Peter Connolly on The Pilum from Marius to Nero which should be invaluable to re-enactors.

Hope this helps but if anyone has any difficulties let me know.

Graham

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Is there a copie of this article still around?
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:Is there a copie of this article still around?

Hi
It was revised and reprinted in Ancient Warfare magazine issue 1. Vol 1.

Graham.

That issue, however, is no longer available in print.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Other known units are the Cohors Prima Italica Civium Romanorum, the Cohors Secunda Italica Civium Romanorum (Acts 10.1) and the Italian Cohors Prima Augusta (Acts 27.1). ...I think that this time, it means that the unit originated in Italy. This does not necessarily mean that the soldiers were from Italy.
Indeed, it wouldn't seem to make sense if the auxiliaries were from Italy since all Italians at this period were citizens. I suspect this cohort of auxiliaries would not have worn Italian style clothing but rather would have adopted local fashion (e.g. Greco clothing, beards, etc..) Even the Syrian legions may have done the same since they were billeted in or near cities rather than living in isolated forts, IIRC.

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxilia stationed in Jerusalem, AD30-AD50 M. Demetrius 15 7,721 03-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Last Post: LonginusXXI