Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Falx
I know that this isn't your area of specific expertise, but I'm looking for information on the Dacian Falx. This was a single edged sword (hooked at the end) used by the Dacian infantry during Emperor Tragan's campaign. Representations are available on Tragan's colum, but are hazy to say the least.<br>
<br>
I'm hoping that you might be able to provide me with some reasonably accurate measurements or designs that I can use for a reproduction.<br>
Thank you very much for any help you can give me,<br>
<br>
Troy Healy<br>
<br>
[email protected] <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Though the site is inaccessible at the moment, there is an extensive site on Thracians that also has a discussion of the <i> falx</i> in the section on weaponry.<br>
<br>
Here is the link:<br>
<br>
The Thracians<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
The Trakians is an excellent site with plenty of pictures. Too bad it has exceeded transfer limits. I hope the site owner will upgrade it soon..<br>
There is a (small) picture of a falx blade in Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War". The shape of the handle is shown on the pedestal of Trajan's Column. <p></p><i></i>
I think Connolly's falx illustration you referred to is actually in "The Legionary," not "G&R@W".<br>
<br>
I don't know if the falx Connolly shows is the only one that has been found by archeologists or not, but it is only 90 cm long, roughly three feet, which hardly seems the devastating two-handed longsword it's often portrayed as. Still, it does seem that the falx was very closely related to the Thracian rhomphaia, and I believe longer versions of that have been found, so maybe longer versions of the falx were also in use. Trajan's column and the Adamklissi monument would suggest this was so, anyway. Still, the longest rhomphaia I've heard of was only about 110 cm, with about half the length taken up by the handle.<br>
<br>
It may have been a very effective weapon but I don't think it was a kind of two-handed William Wallace Braveheart-type longsword, though.<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
There is an article by David Sim on his reconstructed two-handed falx in JRMES 11 which is in press at the moment and should be hitting the streets in about 4 weeks' time.<br>
<br>
More details at:<br>
<br>
www.armatura.connectfree..../vol11.htm<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Good hting i saved the bits i wanted of that thracian site yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have any of the section on the Dacians <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
sites back up again and it is excellent <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The pages of interest are:<br>
<br>
Thracian weapons: swords and knives<br>
Thracian weapons: the rhomphaia/rumpia<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 6/12/02 3:56:38 pm<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx vs. Roman Helmets & Armor Gaius Colletti 22 13,777 02-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti