Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centralised Roman kit design?
I think that the Italic D and E helmets may have originally been intended for the Praetorian Guard. I seem to recall a line in Tacitus where he mentions legionaries grabbing Praetorian equipment off wagons by mistake. The Italian characteristics of these helmets suggest Italian manufacture and the eagle and temple motiffs suggest some possible "elite" status. This is often the helmet of choice of many reenactor centurions because of its decoration, though it is not particularly well made, in fact, rather average. Another thing that suggest this is a particular "class" rather than variation of the Imperial type helmet series, is how the same distinct style survives into the 3d century with the Gutmann and Grimidi helmets, possibly also intended for Praetorians. The same "mouse and loaf" motiff on the Gutmann helmet is repeated on a Praetorian tombstone, though cannot say this has any significance.<br>
<br>
From inscriptions, manufacturing techniques and find spots, I believe that the brass Imperial Gallic I series helmets (Mainz, Aquincum and Gutmann) were Italian copies of contemporary iron Gallic helmets, but made in italy (where there was a huge cupric pot making industry), specifically for the two new Adiutrix legions raised in that region.<br>
<br>
One of the best examples of all for Roman military equipment "homogneity" would the the deep, 3d century Niederbieber type helmet now at Florenzce, that was purposely converted into the classic "light" Roman ridge helmet, apparently to be "uniform" with this later, and cheaper type of head defense.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Centralised Roman kit design? - by Anonymous - 06-11-2002, 08:24 AM
homogeneity - by Goffredo - 06-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Re: homogeneity - by Guest - 06-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Re: homogeneity - by Anonymous - 06-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Re: homogeneity - by Anonymous - 06-12-2002, 07:06 AM
Re: homogeneity - by Daniel S Peterson - 06-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Re: homogeneity - by Guest - 06-17-2002, 08:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post