Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbulo\'s Armenian campaign-----1 or 2 years?
I just wanted to see what people thought about Corbulo's Armenian campaign. Specifically, how long did it take?<br>
<br>
The standard answer is 2 years, based mainly on the fact that Tacitus breaks up the discussion of the events in the East into 2 sections. But I am strongly suspect it was actually a one year sprint, for several reasons:<br>
<br>
1) The nature of the campaign that Tacitus describes seems to be a pre-modern blitzkrieg. Corbulo are clearly moving fast, coming upon towns before the Armenians thought it was possible, shattering forts in short order, etc. Moreover, someone in one of my seminars did do the times and distances, as near as can be estimated, and it seems it was possible to do it in one long season.<br>
<br>
2) Why risk wintering on the Armenian Plateau, without a friendly base. It is a great place to lose an army, if not to nature than to locals.<br>
<br>
3) Tacitus does not describe what surely would be a very tough winter on the Armenian plateau. Note that he goes into detail on Corbulo's training the army near the Plateau.<br>
<br>
<br>
Any comments?<br>
<br>
WWB <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uwwb99.showPublicProfile?language=EN>wwb 99</A> at: 5/23/01 2:28:08 pm<br></i>
A suggestion. You might want to check out Dio Cassius on that subject and see what he says. I'm interested in Cobulo as well, but haven't had time to research him as yet.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbulo and Tiridates Bukranion 1 1,020 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Last Post: M. Caecilius
  Corbulo LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 3 1,375 01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus
  Corbulo\'s legions Cassius Chaerea 3 1,339 05-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Vincula