Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbulo and the Parthians
Does anyone have any suggestions for researching Corbulo and the Parthians? I know of Tacitus and Dio Cassius as primary sources, but do othes exist? Any suggestions on sources for Parthian army composition and tactics? I'm looking to do a research paper on this and any help would be appreciated.<br>
Thanks<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Some reading on the Parthian military:<br>
<br>
Berchem, D. van, 'Le port de Séleucie de Pièrie et l'infrastructure logistique des guerres parthiques' in: <i> Bonner Jahrbücher</i> 185 (1985), 47-87.<br>
Coulston, J.C.N., 'Roman, Parthian and Sassanid tactical developments' in: P. Freeman and D.L. Kennedy (ed.) <i> The defence of the<br>
Roman and Byzantine East</i> (Oxford 1986), 59-75.<br>
Widengren, G., "Iran, der grosse Gegner Roms, Koenigsgewalt, Feodalismus, Militaerwesen' in: <i> ANRW</i> (1976), 219-306.<br>
J. Wiesehoefer, <i> Ancient Persia</i> (London 2001).<br>
Wilcox, P., <i> Rome's enemies III: Parthian and Sassanid Persians</i> Men-At-Arms 175 (London 1986) 48p.<br>
<br>
For a lot more, see this bibliography on Parthia.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<br>
For Corbulo's campaigns, see this page. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 6/24/02 11:56:12 am<br></i>
Hi<br>
<br>
There are actually five references to Corbulo's Parthian War in Frontinus' Strategemata (2.9.5; 4.1.21; 4.1.28; 4.2.3; and 4.7.2). Two of these (4.1.28 and 4.7.2) are not found in Dio or Tacitus' accounts and the others offer information not in Tacitus - such as the location of the fortress at Initia (4.1.21. Cf Tac. Ann 13.36).<br>
<br>
It is possible Frontinus served with Corbulo in Parthia and so records these stratagems from his own experience. Otherwise he used a lost alternative source.<br>
<br>
You might also look at Wheeler's 'The Legion as Phalanx' Chiron 9, 1979, 303-318, and others on the tactics Rome used against the Parthians.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Thanks for the help. This will assist me with my paper.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbulo and Tiridates Bukranion 1 1,020 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Last Post: M. Caecilius
  roman army battling Parthians in Osprey\'s Actium bachmat66 3 1,925 12-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Corbulo LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 3 1,375 01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus