Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Windsor Sword
Now I'm confused.This is a Pompeii type sword right?Now I read that it is from the early first century.I thought the Pompeii type didn't come into use until the second half of the first century. Someone educate me. <p></p><i></i>
I am no expert, but I don't think it is possible to put an exact date as to when certain types of equipment came into use, given the amount of archaeological evidence found to date. There is going to be some amount of lee way when dating the usage of certain weapons.<br>
Mind you, as soon as someone with some actual knowledge of this type of thing replies to this post, you will see that I am probably way out in left field. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>
Very true,like Lorica Segmentata all my books say that it came into use in the mid first century however,now fragments have been found that show it was in use at least as early as the start of the first century.To bad the Romans didn't have cameras(as far as we know watch,next week they will dig one up)so I guess I'll keep working on my time machine. <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
Pieces of Pompeii swords and/or scabbards have been found at sites in Britain such as Hod Hill, which date to the invasion of 43 or immediately afterwards. So that type had to be in use at least a little before then.<br>
<br>
Not sure what you mean by the "Windsor" sword, though--do you mean the well-known (and apparently inaccurately reproduced) "Long Windsor" scabbard plate, with the raised X and the L-shaped corner cutouts? As I understand it, this find is a little mysterious since there seems to be no site called "Long Windsor", so it must have been mislabeled at some point. It's a perfectly decent Pompeii scabbard, but no blade was found with it. The Ermine Street Guard's bulletin "Exercitus" had a very nice revised reconstruction of it a couple years back.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hey Dave, hurry about completing your time machine! I want to buy one! Humm, no optionals, just a basic one for now...<br>
<br>
Uale,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I probably misread I was kinda in a hurry when I glanced at this.The book probably was refering to the Long Windsor type of scabbard plate(now that I think about it there was a picture of one by the sword.)I'll let everyone know when the time machine is perfected but,don't hold your breath it's more difficult then say pugio frogs or a scutum. <p></p><i></i>