Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheeler\'s FIREPOWER paper
I just finished reading Everett L. Wheeler's "FIREPOWER: missile weapons and the face of battle".<br>
Well, I think it is a dud! A few of his initial and opening sarcastic comments about the face-of-battle fashion(!) are interesting and even healthy. Indeed I sat up straight interested to read onwards, but in my opinion he just doesn't follow through and this piece, a typical (genre) article that makes the usual high number of references to this or that "source", is sterile and hasn't left much of a mark on me. I will try to read it again in a day or two but there is the serious risk I will simply forget about it in an hour or two, maybe less as my sweetheart is about to arrive. Ciao<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Salve,<br>
<br>
The <i> Kestoi</i> reference on hit ratio is quoted in other publications, such as in Nicasie (page 190) and Stephenson (page 58).<br>
<br>
Wheelers own view on mounted missile fire need nuances too. Regarding accuracy of horse archers it should be taken into account that warfare and hunting are different. While hunting was regarded as a useful training for war as noted in several manuals, there would have been significant differences. Even though prey animals can be quite dangerous at close quarters, they generally do not reply to an archer in kind wielding bows and arrows of their own. Also on the hunt prey animals present a point target requiring aimed fire rather than an area target to be be overcome by sheer weight of missiles. Similarly accuracy in training can be expected to be higher than in actual combat. Concern about personal proficiency with the weapon can take precedence over worries about staying alive. Training is not necessarily realistic and while accuracy may have been sought after in practicing, combat may have rearranged priorities to its disadvantage.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
What is the reference for this work - is it a book or an article?<br>
<br>
I have read most of Wheeler's previous work and would like to get my hands on this one.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Salve,<br>
<br>
The full reference was in the Roman battles thread.<br>
<br>
Wheeler, E.L., 'Firepower: missile weapons and the face of battle' in: <i> Electrum</i> 5 (Jagiellonian University Press, Krakow, 2001), 169-184.<br>
<br>
If you can't get hold of it otherwise you can contact me at:<br>
<br>
[email protected] <br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Sander<br>
<br>
I will track it down and get back to you - and if not I will get back to you anyway.<br>
<br>
Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheeler great strategy vs Alan raids Mitra 0 924 10-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Mitra