Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praetor Urbanus for 69
Salvete omnes<br>
<br>
Do we know the praetor urbanus of 69 or any military actions of that year in which he was involved?<br>
I can't seem to find anything - but I'm sure there must be something somwhere on this position and the man who held it in 69.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
BCE or CE? <p>Salve,<br>
Triarius<br>
One of the pack, maybe. One of the herd, <i>NEVER!</I></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
<i> Historia</i> 1.47 mentions the <i> praetor urbanus</i>, but not by name and not in connection with military activity. In the passage he calls a meeting of the senate in the absence of both consuls. The successor is named in <i> Historia</i> 4.39 which records the appointment of Iulius Frontinus as <i> praetor urbanus</i> on the kalends of january AD70. It is unclear what military action a <i> praetor urbanus</i> should be involved in. A <i> praetor</i> would have been largely occupied with judicial functions and other duties of a civilian nature rather than leading armies in the field, as in republican times.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Sander,<br>
<br>
Thanks. I will look into it and let you know my conclusions - all top secret you know.<br>
<br>
Sorry Triarius, AD/CE.<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9