Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Roman Army Finds at Carlisle, on Hadrian\'s Wall
The unique Lorica Squamata neck piece which was found under Castle Green last year has been missing, along with other items for 6 months. See today's article in the local newspaper, the Cumberland News. www.cumberland-news.co.uk/A42est.HTM<br>
<br>
I cannot believe that such a thing could be allowed to happen! <p></p><i></i>
This is, to put it bluntly, b****cks - I saw the damned stuff today (see my post elsewhere). The big headline-grabbing pieces have been at Durham ever since they were found (with a brief trip to Leeds to be X-rayed). Moreover, none of the stuff I have seen would have any market value as it is all too grotty in appearance. Stuff goes missing in archaeological stores all the time (ask the Austrians where all the Carnuntum Waffenmagazin has gone) and, just as surely, turns up eventually. Sloppy journalism (lorica WHAT from Corbridge?).<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umcbishop.showPublicProfile?language=EN>mcbishop</A> at: 6/21/02 8:29:00 pm<br></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Glad to hear it Mike. <p></p><i></i>
Some of the 'missing' material found at Carlisle Castle is now on display for the next year or so. I have been to see the display, which runs for about the next year, and there is some pretty good stuff included, particularly horse trappings. There is an article about the display in the Cumberland News: http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/A43n8v.HTM <br>
It's worth a visit!<br>
<br>
Robin Brown <p></p><i></i>
I will be in Carlisle next 3-4 august. I would like to see these things, but the link you've added is lost.<br>
Please, can you check? <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
I sent an email to the organizers about a show brochure or publication of some kind, but haven't heard back. Are they publishing photos or descriptions? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I just got a note from Dr. Mike Heyworth, who says for publications contact the Tullie House Museum<br>
<br>
www.tulliehouse.co.uk/index2.htm<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks Richard, I will contact them! <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,319 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,190 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  roman army fortifications pre-hadrians wall felixgallus 2 1,667 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell