Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the tomstone of a centurion of Epidaurus...
Lectoribus salutem,<br>
<br>
Who can help me to track the centurion of Epidaurus?<br>
<br>
As an illustration In Roy Davies' article The supply of animals to the roman army and the remount system", (chapter 7 in his "service in the roman army" there is a centurion(?)'s tombstone depicted from Epidaurus on the coast of Argolis in the Peloponese.<br>
<br>
More details about this source are not mentioned. The greek inscription on it seems to read: TIMOKLE CHAIRE. The officer is depicted with a horse and a calo, and he is wearing a muscle cuirass, a cloak, a sash, and boots that may be caligae. fact, it's more a classic tribunus in appearance.<br>
<br>
This tombstone has been used as evidence in several reconstruction paintings of second century centurions, like the one 'questioning' a prisoner at Hadrian's Wall in Simkin's "Warriors of Rome".<br>
<br>
I would like to know more about this stone, so is there anyone who knows were this one has been published more completely? (CIL, AE,)????<br>
<br>
Gratias multas ago<br>
<br>
Sebastiaan. <p></p><i></i>
Autobus salutem,<br>
<br>
In the UB you may want to look up these publications.<br>
<br>
Gaertringen, F. H. von (ed.), <i> IG IV2,1 -- Inscriptiones Graecae, IV. Inscriptiones Argolidis. 2nd edn. Fasc. 1, Inscriptiones Epidauri</i> (Berlin 1929).<br>
<br>
For texts published after that date check <i> SEG</i> and the <i> Bulletin épigraphique</i>. The <i> IGR</i> may also be of use.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The text is <i> IG</i> IV.897 as indicated by the comments (<i> ... stela marmorea in qua repraesentatur vir imberbis loricatus, tenens dextra equum, qui praeterea tenetur a parvo stante in parte altera... Titulus supra anaglyphum</i> '). The text reported is limited to <i> Timoklè chaire</i>. There are no further references to the rank of the officer portrayed given.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>