Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome\'s allies during Hannibals invasion
I've been reading recently about the Gracchi brothers and the issue of citizenhsip among the allies. I know that the allies were required to supply troops and had alliances with Rome, but what I'm puzzled about is why the allies stayed with Rome when Hannibal invaded if they didn't have citizenship when later there was problems over this issue and eventually the Social War. Can someone crystalize the reason because I am vague on this. Thanks for any assistence.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
Hannibals's strategy while in Italy was exactly based on that. He wanted to encourage the allies to leave Rome's fold and some did. However, Hannibal couldn't be everywhere at the same time and one by one the allies were forced or talked back into an alliance with Rome. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
It was a matter of both stick and carrot. Allies that did not retain their allegiance could expect Roman retribution. On the other hand Roman wars were not just profitable for the Romans themselves, but benefitted the allies as well, even if not to the same degree. Another consideration was that the Romans would seek the goodwill of the elite of allies rather than the whole lot of them. By extending citizen rights to magistrates, but not the population at large they could achieve their aim of cementing an alliance against minimal investment.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 7/22/02 9:34:08 am<br></i>
Sander, what's with your icon? <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Thanks again, Sander, for your clear, concise, and succient answers.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
you are welcome.<br>
<br>
At times the icon shows up, at times it does not. It seems to depend on what machine and what internet connection I am using.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome\'s Italic allies and enemies Anonymous 5 1,613 11-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Anonymous