Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Marcomanni and Quadi wars
Salve,<br>
<br>
While waiting for the new Osprey on Roman Equipment from Graham Sumner, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my research into the Marcomanni and Quadi Wars of around Marcus Aurelius time (161-192 AD).<br>
<br>
I am after some kind of primary source in a similar vein to Tacitus or Ammianus Marcellinus which describes the wars. If not any comprehensive source be it primary or otherwise will be most helpful.<br>
<br>
Thank you in advance.<br>
<br>
Mark <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The main source is Cassius Dio, book 72 (translation). Some fragments in other works refer to it (even Marcus Aurelius's <i> Ta eis eauton</i> has a couple of hints). There are also a number of relevant inscriptions, such as those relating to Valerius Maximianus.<br>
<br>
Birley. A.R., <i> Marcus Aurelius</i> rev. ed. (London 1993) 352p. Recently reprinted.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 7/31/02 4:48:02 pm<br></i>
Thank you Sander for the prompt and useful reply.<br>
<br>
I was also wondering if sources before and after this date would be of use ?<br>
<br>
Kind Regards<br>
<br>
Mark <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
For background on the Marcomanni and other Germanics one could use Tacitus, not just the <i> Germania</i> but also the <i> Annales</i> for the earlier history. The <i> SHA</i> can also be useful, in particular the biographies of Marcus Aurelius, Lucius Verus, Avidius Cassius and Commodus. One has to use the <i> SHA</i> with a bit more care than usual though, as it is not the most reliable collection of histories around.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Again many thanks.<br>
<br>
You mentioned Cassius Dio - will the penguin version be sufficient ? <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
You are welcome. I am not sure. Some of the Penguin translations are in an abridged version (eg the one of Ammianus Marcellinus lacks a couple of chapters). My guess is that the chapter on the Marcomannic war are very likely not to have been omitted. The Loeb version has the full version and would also be handy if you can read Greek, to check up on translation. The online translation is available with the warning that it has not yet been fully checked, though that is in progress.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 7/31/02 7:44:27 pm<br></i>
The Penguin version of Cassius Dio is VERY abridged-- it only contains the chapters on the reign of Augustus! <p></p><i></i>
Thank you Gentlemen. Damn I never knew that about the Ammianus Marcellinud by Penguin ! Leob - expensive but good. Time to speak to ol' bank manager ! <p></p><i></i>
Hmmm different versions even in the Leob series - Boy they do not make things easy do they............any clues as to which version for Leob guys ? <p></p><i></i>
There are no different versions in the Loeb series, as far as I know. The works of many an author comes in different volumes though. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
I assume that you mean what volume of the nine you should get. According to this list volume IX will be what you need as this would contain book 72.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Thank you. Voulme IX it is then.<br>
<br>
Thank you again for the guidance and advice.<br>
<br>
Kind Regards<br>
<br>
Mark <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Please could you tell me the missing chapters from the Ammianus Marcellinus Penguin version which are in the Loeb edition ?<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Mark <p></p><i></i>