Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearskins
What precisely is the story/reason behind the wearing of animal skins, specifically bearskins I think, by the legionary standard-bearers? <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
According to Polybius the <i> grosphomachoi</i>, or in Latin <i> velites</i>, wore animal skins for both protection and recognition, so that officers could judge their performance in the field.<br>
<br>
Vegetius, <i> Epitoma</i> 2.15<br>
<br>
<i> ...Omnes antesignani vel signiferi, quamvis pedites, loricas minores accipiebant et galeas ad terrorem hostium ursinis pellibus tectas. ...</i><br>
<br>
'... All <i> antesignani</i> (troops fighting in front of the standards) and standardbearers, although infantrymen, used to receive smaller body armours and helmets covered with bear skins for intimidation of the enemies. ...'<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
also skins and furs soften blows quite well dont they? <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Polybius mentions that the javelineers (<i> grosphomachoi</i>) wore them both for protection and recognition.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Hello Sander<br>
<br>
Nice to have finally met up with you.<br>
<br>
Do I have your quote right? '... All antesignani (troops fighting in front of the standards) and standardbearers, although infantrymen, used to receive smaller body armours and helmets covered with bear skins for intimidation of the enemies. ...<br>
<br>
Does this mean that standardbearers where also infantrymen. By this does it mean that they where standard rank soldiers or officers that fought on foot (infantrymen)? I have always been under the impressions that standard bearers where officers?<br>
<br>
Please help me out before I completly confuse myself.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
A <i> pedes</i> (plural <i> pedites</i>) was a foot soldier. It did not have the specific meaning of ranker or private, for which other terms were used, such as <i> simplaris</i> (soldier on standard (literally single) rate of pay) or <i> gregalis</i> or <i> gregarius</i> ('herd animal'). A <i> signifer</i> or standardbearer in the imperial army ranked among the <i> duplicarii</i>, the soldiers on double rate of pay, and belonged to the group that was eventually called the <i> principales</i>. These formed a category similar to modern NCO's, occupying an intermediate posision between the rank and file and the officers.<br>
<br>
Vegetius was under the impression that in his days infantrymen no longer used armour, which iconographic evidence and other references seem to contradict. Therefore he adds that these categories, even if they were infantrymen, still used body armour.<br>
<br>
An English translation of Vegetius is:<br>
<br>
Milner, N.P., <i> Vegetius: epitome of military science</i> (Liverpool 1993) 152p.<br>
<br>
Though the Latin text has been made available on the internet, a full translation is not (yet) online. The fullest one that is available, might be properly classed as an interpretation rather than a translation, so it is better to read Milner's edition.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/29/02 11:49:13 am<br></i>