Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testudo and Parthian equipment
I've been doing some research for my paper on the Parthians and their wars with different Roman commanders and have come across two points that, if anyone would like to assist with, I would greatly appreciate.<br>
1. When was the testudo first used and when ( I am assuming here it did, but I could be wrong) did it become part of the tactics of the Roman army?<br>
2. In Dio Cassius's Roman history book XXXVI he describes a double pointed arrow used against the Romans by the "barbarians" in Armenia. Given the geographical proximity to Parthia, does anyone else think that it is reasonable to assume that the Parthians used such an arrow?<br>
Thanks in advance for any help.<br>
<br>
Tim <p></p><i></i>
I'm assuming Dio Cassius was referring to barbed arrowheads, which the Parthians are attested to using in other sources.<br>
<br>
Also, the Romans seem to have resorted to the square when encountering the Parthians, which seems to have been an excellent defensive formation but apparently rather slow moving.<br>
<br>
Gregg<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Sorry to reply so late - I've only just come across this - Frontinus Strategemata 2.3.15<br>
<br>
'When Mark Antony was engaged in battle with the Parthians and these were showering his army with innumerable arrows, he ordered his men to form a testudo. the arrows passed over this without harm to the soldiers, and the enemey's supply was soon exhausted.<br>
<br>
Cf. Dio 49.29-30 and Plut. Antony 45.<br>
<br>
Hope this is of use and that you see it<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Ave!<br>
<br>
Interesting...does anyone know the draw weight of those early bows? I had thought that they were quite powerful, but your cited passage would almost dispute that....unless the parthians were attempting volley fire from a great distance.<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>