Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water bearing on the battle field
I'd say the aftermath of Cannae counted as special circumstances<br>
<br>
The interesting thing about those slave legions is that they were slave soldiers, they weren't manumitted on enlistment. <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Here is Livy on the slave soldiers after Cannae:<br>
<br>
"Orders were issued for the preparation of arms, weapons and other equipment; the spoils of former wars were removed from temples and porticoes. There was also another, and unpreciedented form of recruitment, rendered necessary by the pressure of the circumstances and by the shortage of free citizens: this was the arming of 8,000 slaves, healthy and in the prime of life. They were bought from their owners at public expense, having first been asked individually if they were willing to serve." (XXII.57)<br>
<br>
If Livy is correct and the state paid for the slaves enlisted into the army, would one then consider those slaves free? Could they be sold again? Anyone know? I think I remember reading somewhere in Livy that one of the slave legions or a detatchment from one of the slave legions fought particularly well and all its members were granted their freedom. Not sure about this though, I'll look for it in the morning. Almost 3 AM here, time to sleep. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The grant of freedom to <i> volones</i> who had distinguished themselves in battle is in Livius 24.15-16 (translation).<br>
<br>
The <i> volones</i> were quite exceptional in being enlisted while still of servile status, whereas it was usual, as indicated in Welwei's work, to manumit slaves before enlistment on other occasions. It was a common slur to accuse opponents of enlisting slaves, though it appears manumission was normally practiced before or on enlistment as freedmen could enlist, commonly in the fleet though at times also attested to serve in other branches of the armed forces. The <i> Digestae</i> contain mainly material relevant to the imperial period and even then some exceptions are known.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/30/02 9:50:54 am<br></i>
Were soldiers also known to mix some wine vinegar with their water for purification? I realize they wouldn't be able to do this during a battle so the question applies to times other than battle. <p></p><i></i>
The mixture of wine vinegar and water is called "posca". It is a normal drink of the Roman soldier, and very refreshing, (especially if you don't stoop to the temptation to add sweetener!) It takes getting "used" to but you will find it refreshes you while it helps make the water more drinkable. It doesn't take out minerals and doesn't kill all the "bad things" in water, but it helps! <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans tricks during battle field SAJID 10 2,808 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Sextus Saturninus
  How effective was Roman artillery in Field battle? Mrbsct 7 4,277 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Valerian Pertinax
  Beware Greeks bearing Gladii !!!! Ghostmojo 5 1,783 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ghostmojo