Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian, Polyaenus, Tactica, the Legion as Phalanx, etc
Hi<br>
<br>
This is really in response to Sander's response in the New Papyri Found thread, but as I started writng I realised it might be a bit too long for a reply.<br>
<br>
I did some work on Arrian in regard to Polyaenus' Strategemata and especially the latter's Alexander Stratagems. I see Alexander as a subject that was especially popular at the beginning of Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus' reign, especially once it was know Lucius Verus would embark to personally lead the Parthian campaign. There are several works we know of dedicated to Alexander published in 161/162. McCleod argued that the Anabasis of Arrian was published then. (I'm sorry I don't have my precise references with me since I am at work (which answers an earlier thread too).) This explosion of Alexander material was directly related to the Parthian War and Polyaenus makes reference to his inherited ability to defeat Persians/Parthians precisely because he was Macedonian. I published an article in Archaiognosia 11 on this (Murray K. Dahm 'Polyaenus of Macedon and Alexander the Great' - I think I'll have to drop Muzzaguchi now), I don't think it is on line but I have some off prints if you would like one - let me know and I will make my email public in my file and you can email me off site and let me know your address.<br>
<br>
I did do some work on Arrian's Ektaxis as a non-extraordinary formation but I have not compared it to the Strategikon (of Maurice?). Instead i looked at Wheeler's 1979 Chiron article ('The Legion as Phalanx') and an Embolon article and others (once again apologies for my lack of references) and examined the ancient sources for evidence of the Legion deployed as a phalanx. This was in order to argue that the tactics that would have been used by Verus and his generals in the Parthian War would have been those of the phalanx. (the Suda records Polyaenus wrote a Tactica in 3 books (which I think is separate to the Strategemata in EM but this is lost) I also used the Tactica of Arrian and Aelian to argue that there were specific tactical aims in such works despite their antiquarian nature and Second Sophistic values. (Aelian for instance probably dedicated his Tactica to Trajan just prior to the Parthian campaign and that he too stressed the 'Alexander angle'. Dio Cassius records the admiration Trajan held for Alexander and it is possible that Aelian's appeal did not fall on deaf ears (He also appeals to the esteem Trajan held for Frontiunus - for which see Vegetius). Polyaenus' work was read by Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus - The preface to book five refers to it (Book four contained the Alexander stratagems and the Macedonian race in general) and Polyaenus could not have made such a claim if it was blatantly untrue.<br>
<br>
I continue to examine this issue and have recently turned my attention to the much more difficult issue of the Tactica of Asclepiodotus - which has no apparent practical context - or does it??!! I will keep you posted.<br>
<br>
However, in a recent seminar I gave at Sydney University a colleague took me to task over this 'practical Tactica' issue. (I will be intrigued by these new papyri and see if they 'blow me out of the water' or him - not that i am vindictive mind you). I also wish to argue for the continued practicality of Graeco/Roman didactic manuals throughout history - the translations of Aelian in the 17th century for pike phalanxes in the Low Countries and translations of both Polyaenus and Frontinus' Strategemata as training manuals for officers in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. But Enough!<br>
<br>
I will look at Maurice - if not his work please tell me.<br>
<br>
I am sorry for such a huge, unreferenced rant. If any one is interested or annoyed by my cloudy assertions i will post my references when I have them on hand.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray Dahm<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Salve,<br>
<br>
The Hellenistic influence on the Roman army is a subject that I have collected material for for some time for a page on the Roman army of Alexander the Great (working title). The influence can in my opinion be distinguished in various fields, from armament to tactics, organisation, unit titles and ranks. As it is one of my pet subjects within Roman army studies I would be glad to discuss it.<br>
<br>
Though I am not convinced that Arrian's battle formation was a true phalanx in the stricter sense (any battle order could be and was called a phalanx after all), I do think that there may be a general link with the formations described in the <i> Cyropaedia</i> of Xenophoon and the one that was supposed to be used for Alexander's projected campaigns before his death, combining ranks of shock front rank troops with missile support from rear ranks. The third century may on the other hand have seen phalanx tactics that more closely resembled the Hellenistic examples. Some of my ramblings and brain farts on the subject are on this page, which I have yet to vet from its grammatical - and spelling errors.<br>
<br>
The inscription from Apamea of the <i> discens phalangarii</i>, trainee phalanx fighter, may also be interesting. It is tantalisingly referred to in a number of publications on the finds (such as the 1986 <i> JRS</i> article and the exhibit guide), but has to my knowledge still not been fully published. Martin ('Magister navis') has seen the original though and he can tell you more about it.<br>
<br>
Indeed I did mean the <i> Strategikon</i> by (Pseudo?-)Maurice. The chapter on infantry warfare details a formation that resembles Arrian's planned deployment in some ways and it describes how such a formation would open its ranks to allow the cavalry through, a manoeuvre the <i> Ektaxis</i> hints at, but does not detail. The similarities may indicate that Arrian's battle plans were not an exceptional arrangement. The recent reprint of the translation by Dennis does not contain the Greek text, for which you should try to get hold of the original German language edition.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<br>
P.S. the [email protected] address I gave in an earlier post does not seem to be functioning properly. My mail address is sander_van_dorst<the familiar symbol>hotmail.com. Be sure to add Roman army to the subject to avoid being filtered out.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/13/02 2:05:49 pm<br></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
Some related references:<br>
<br>
Bosworth, A.B., 'Arrian and the Alani' in: <i> Harvard Studies in Classical Philology</i> 81 (1977), 217-255.<br>
Bosworth, A.B., 'Arrian and Rome. The minor works' in: <i> ANRW</i> II 34-1 (1993), 226-275.<br>
Dennis, G.T., <i> Maurice's Strategikon. Handbook of Byzantine military strategy</i> ( Philadelphia 1984) 178p.<br>
Devine, A.M., 'Embolon: a study in tactical terminology' in: <i> Phoenix</i> 37 (1983) 201-217.<br>
Devine, A.M., 'Arrian's 'Tactica'' in: <i> ANRW</i> II 34-1 (1993), 312-317.<br>
DeVoto, J.G., <i> Flavius Arrianus: Technè Taktika (Tactical handbook) and Ektaxis kata Alanoon (The expedition against the Alans)</i> (Chicago 1993) 132p.<br>
Goold, G.P. (ed.), <i> Aeneas Tacticus, Asclepiodotus, Onasander</i> (London 1928) 532p.<br>
Hyland, A., <i> Training the Roman cavalry from Arrian's Tactica</i> (Alan Sutton 1993).<br>
Krentz, P. and E.L. Wheeler, <i> Polyaenus. Stratagems of war Volumes I & II</i> (Chicago 1994) 1091p.<br>
Milner, N.P., <i> Vegetius: epitome of military science</i> (Liverpool 1993) 152p.<br>
Wheeler, E.L., 'The legion as a phalanx' in: <i> Chiron</i> 9 (1979), 303- 318.<br>
Wheeler, E.L., 'The occasion of Arrian's Tactica' in: <i> Geek, Roman and Byzantine Studies</i> 19 (1979), 351-365.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
Thanks Sander!<br>
I might also add<br>
A. Devine Aelian's Manual of Hellenisic Military Tactics. A New Translation from the Greek with an Introduction, The Ancient World 19, 1989, pp. 31-64.<br>
And (just for completeness' sake):<br>
David Whitehead Aineias the Tactician How to Survive Under Siege (Oxford, 1990) and a second edition (Bristol, 2001).<br>
<br>
There are also recent Italian works on Polyaenus by M. T. Schettino and E. Bianco and a Russian Translation by A. Nefedkin.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Working myself through the many threads that have compiled during my absence, I just found this one - and I can give here my reading of the <i> discens phalangarii</i> inscription from Apamea mentioned above.<br>
<br>
D M<br>
MAGNIN ATTONIS (maybe MAGNINI)<br>
DISCENT PHALANG (maybe DESCENT)<br>
LEG II PARTHI PII PS (...THI P... quite unclear)<br>
QVI VIXIT ANN XXXX<br>
MIL ANN XX SOLLEMNI (...OLLE... quite unclear)<br>
VICTORINVS IMAGIN<br>
HERES BENE MERENT<br>
FACIVNDVM CV<br>
RAVIT<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Magister / Martin,<br>
<br>
Thanks for that! What about interpretation (he asks impertinently! ;-) )? Sander said I should contact you offline to discuss this inscription. So if that is okay with you please email me at murraykdahm@hotmail .<br>
<br>
Anyway, I just came across this:<br>
<br>
N. M. Saxtorph and C. G. Tortzen 'Acies contra Alanos: Arrian on Military Tactics', in Ancient History Matters, Analecta Romana Instituti Danici, Supplementa 30, (2002).<br>
<br>
I haven't seen it yet but I have interloaned it so I will let you know. And if any of you have seen it please advise<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polyaenus\' translation by R. Shepard Macedon 6 2,152 06-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Lyceum
  Legion vs the Phalanx elias444 5 2,038 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Albertomv