Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Was In Charge?
Ulpius Marcellus' second governorship ended in 187. Pertinax' did not begin until 192-3, depending on the source of information. Who was governing Britannia, in those years between? Was Marcellus acting governor, while waiting for a replacement? Or do we not know the name of the men who were in office, at that time?<br>
<br>
Thanks for any help.<br>
<br>
Boudicca <p><center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>What bargains we have made, we have kept. And as the dogs of the hours close in,</i></font></center>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>nothing can be taken from us but our lives.</i></font></center>
<br>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i> "Victory" - Charles Bukowski</i></font></center>
<br>

</p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
The site<br>
www.roman-britain.org/peo...ernors.htm<br>
lists the governors slightly differently (I will check Birley's The Fasti of Roman Britain tomorrow) but they have:<br>
29 Ulpius Marcellus 180-?<br>
30 Publius Helvius Pertinax 185-?187<br>
31 Decimus Clodius Albinus 191/192-? (Caesar 193; died 197)<br>
32 Virius Lupus 197-?200/202<br>
<br>
This list was apparently based on Roman Britain by Peter Salway and the page was last modified on Sept 6 this year.<br>
<br>
Anyway that doesn't much help as there is no one listed for 187-191/2. The average length of governorship was three years with a few (famously Agricola's 77/78-82/83) longer. We may therefore be missing one complete double governorship for that time or two singles. There would be plenty of candidates - but I will let you know what Birley says (if anything).<br>
<br>
I don't know of any changes to the basic order of Birley but Britannia might have them. I will have a look<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Hi again,<br>
<br>
Birley has several possibilities for the period for which there appears to be little evidence All refs are from The Fasti of Roman Britain, Oxford, 1981<br>
<br>
(p. 135) Ignotus was probably a governor and not just a legionary legate (as argued by Frere and Wright) possibly 182-183<br>
<br>
(p. 13EM Calpurnius was acting governor at some time between 194 and 203 but Birley argues he may have replaced C. Aufidius Victorinus who dies in office in 185.<br>
<br>
(p. 140) Ulpius Marcellus - there is no precedent for a second governorship (as opposed to a double tenure)<br>
<br>
(p. 145) Pertinax was probably governor from roughly 185 and requested to come back to Rome in 187<br>
<br>
(p. 146) Albinus was governor from 192-197<br>
<br>
So again not much definitive help - possibly Calpurnius stayed on under Pertinax and then replaced him also as governor in 187 (but again such a 'second' term is unattested).<br>
<br>
Sorry not to be of more help<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi / Murray <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
You've been great help, thanks!!<br>
<br>
Boudicca <p><center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>What bargains we have made, we have kept. And as the dogs of the hours close in,</i></font></center>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i>nothing can be taken from us but our lives.</i></font></center>
<br>
<center><font size= "3" face= "times new roman" color= "#CC0000"><i> "Victory" - Charles Bukowski</i></font></center>
<br>

</p><i></i>
'Ignotus was governor....' Half a sec here, Ignotus means 'unknown' doesn't it? Or is this really an attested surname?? My Latin is soooo cheesy....<br>
<br>
Eric <p></p><i></i>